Saturday, October 24, 2009

An Eve was Teased


I know many of you have concerns on this issue and have also asked about it.
So Far, I had nothing major to tell about. But in the last 1 week....I have been eve teased twice!! (OMG.....poor me!)

I do not count ogling as a part of eve-teasing. It is a way of life now. And in south India, I have heard this from a southy, that if you are a female and have any complexion lighter then dark brown, you deserve attention.

Well, the first incident happened when we went to Cubbon park last weekend. A group of 3 young boys (16-17 years olds) were standing in the opposite corner of the park. We had planned a picnic for A and were having food. These boys came to our bench for no apparent reason. H, had closed his eyes may be trying to sleep under a big,old tree shade. So these guys dissected me nicely and then started commenting and giggling in kannada. I didn't understand a word of it but it was not respectful for sure. I gave them a good stare and they kept staring back not only in my eyes, but everywhere else too.

Second incident took place outside A's school. I walked out of the school holding A's hand. I had to take an auto as our driver was down with Viral fever.An Adam (man)....about 32-34 years of age, wearing a helmet, white shirt, came on a bike and slowed down his bike and indicated me to get onto his bike.
As he passed by, I turned around to take down his bike no. and also to make sure that it is what I was thinking it to be but he was still staring at me turning his head and again gestured the same thing.

So the conclusion is, yes eve-teasing happens. But you know what? It doesn't bother me much. It does upset me for sometime. It doesn't bother me much because I know I can handle this and he can do no harm to me apart from a mental harrassment and insult.
I have traveled in Delhi buses extensively for 6 years and have been through these incidents for almost 2 decades now. All ladies out there have.

What I wonder is will A be able to handle these Adam's or does she necessarily have to go through this when I know it is going to be worse with time?? Is this a part of the ultra necessary Indian culture course that we want to give her?


I am going through yet another patch of bad health coupled with school admission season. I will soon be writing about Bangalore schools after I am more at peace. Right now, my info about schools may be biased- influenced by frustrations.
But for anyone, who is moving to Bangalore early next year, the forms are out for the admission mania and it may be worth it making an emergency trip to collect forms and attend interviews this month. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment