Monday, September 7, 2009

His Reasons to Move Back and Mine Against Those

It would have been best if this came from the horse's mouth. But for now, let me wear the narrator's hat.

1. Proximity to Family- This reason is not a unique one and it is a valid one too.

My Argument- We can take care of parents from anywhere. Even if we move back we won't be living in his hometown so if we have to travel then why not from US.
I do agree about the time part but I don't think you can do anything in a super urgent situation from Bangalore that you cannot do from US.

2. Indian-ness for the children- He wanted our children to be raised in the environment we grew up in. Visiting grandparents, uncles n aunts, speaking fluent Hindi, knowing India, etc.

My Argument- I find US-Indian kids more Indian at heart then Indian kids. Yes, Indian kids do speak better mother tongue. But how does it matter if the child speaks American accent English or Desi English. All that matters is how much respect, values and morals the child has towards others. And I think, no culture in the world tells you not to respect elders, or to be dishonest, to be immoral, etc.
Also, I found the education opportunities and the ease getting into a good university/ school in US as a very strong argument.

3. The Indian environment- Sometimes he felt foreign and not at home in US.

My Argument- Go back to the post 2000 Indian metro and you will find yourself in a more foreign environment. India isn't the same and I am not very happy about that.

1 comment:

  1. Good Post, I loved all your honest confessions and unfortunately every indian here has the same story.
    Loved it so please keep posting

    ReplyDelete